Saturday, May 19, 2007

My Birthday

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


I found these beautiful flowers outside my door when I got home from work. As I walked from the car I considered who may have sent them. I hadn't guessed Christine. Just goes to show you what superior people eat sushi!

What to do? I got home from work about an hour and a half later than I was expecting to (2:00 pm). That pretty much eliminated going to the Alma Park Zoo...or anything that had a limited "open" time...like the museum of art or the koala sanctuary. They all close by 5:00 and I hadn't eaten lunch. So, I took a short trip to the Hypermarket to buy a vase then spent time researching the movies showing today.

My choices:
"Infamous" - (another) movie about Truman Capote- rated 70% on rottentomatoes.com
"Death of a President" - what happens after W dies in office - 37% fresh (aka rotten)- no thanks
"My Best Friend" - a French film about a man who has 24 hours to find a best friend- Kevin wants to see that with me- plus it feels kind of pathetic to see by yourself on your birthday. Not rated.
"The Lives of Others"- Oscar winner for best foreign film- again something Kevin's particularly interested in
"Into Great Silence"- sounds like an interesting experience - but I'm already tired and it is TWO hours and 44 minutes long! and, mostly SILENT. Just won't work despite being 88% fresh!
"Half Nelson"- teacher/addict- student relationship. 94% fresh. A possibility.
"Paris Je T'aime"- 80% fresh- a collection of short love stories.

I went with the last film. I'm having a bit of a short story fling having just finished "Vincenzo's Garden". There were some great pieces. Mostly, stories of romantic love- but not exclusively. I enjoyed it more than "Coffee and Cigarettes" (2004). And, it ended with a very nice song- "All in the Dance"

I'm very pleased with myself. I found this theater, thanks to "whereis", on my own. I was a bit concerned because Kevin and I tried to go once before but got lost. (The problem is that the road "whereis" routes you on is CLOSED. This time I saw the detour signs. This time I was traveling in daylight.) So, should anyone want to visit and go to the Dendy Portside, I'm the woman for the job.

And, the theater is right beside a Japanese restaurant.

Excellent idea.

No comments: