Tuesday, July 14, 2009

I have survived!

From Singles 2009


I have just returned from the hospital where I didn't just get a bone marrow biopsy, but I scored an abdominal ultrasound, an ECG, a blood pressure, and the opportunity to have 15 vials of blood drawn. I decided to approach the entire day with an attitude of curiosity. That helped.

I learned that having an IV catheter burns a little, even when nothing is being injected and that when something it, that something feels interestingly cool.

I learned that if you leave a tourniquet on during a blood draw you can affect the results of Calcium measurement - and maybe more. I'm not sure that we can use that information since our human tourniquets are helping restrain our patients and keep the vein in one place. Plus, we never draw more than 3 small vials of blood.

I learned there are yellow topped and pink topped tubes.

I was surprised that a person would order 4 blue top coagulation test samples and then not actually do a coagulation test before doing a bone marrow biopsy.

My ECG is normal. My blood pressure 124 over 62 and my pulse was 70.

With concentrated deep breathing I am able to maintain my 02 saturation at 100%. Without this it tends to be 98%.

Of the biopsy itself, I remember NOTHING. I was a bit alarmed when my doctor came in draped in a plastic apron reminiscent of what a butcher might wear. I don't remember much beyond noting that the midazolam, like the saline flush, only felt cool and that I wasn't feeling relaxed or sleepy.

Then, I woke up.

Other observations:

Weird-o lunches served. No wonder type 2 diabetes is rampant. Four quarter sandwich wedges- egg salad (YUCK), turkey, ham, cheese. In true Aussie form these sandwiches were slathered in butter on both slices of bread and had one or two narrow slices of meat. (I took the meat/cheese off and whatever vegetable bits and put them all on one sandwich wedge.) Side dishes: bread pudding and vanilla ice cream - gluten free. (WTF? Why worry about gluten after the rest of that meal???) Apple juice to drink and coffee/tea.

How hard is it to spell Ann without an e?? The country is vowel happy!

No comments: