Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Family visit part 2

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
I think I'll work backward. I think I'll start with yesterday and go back- so that something is fresh in my mind as I write this.

They left.

Poof. It is so quiet here now. And, empty. And, my kitchen counters are clear. I know it was real because I have 3 loads of laundry to do- sheets and towels, my long johns and a few of Kevin's socks.

I figure they'd be on the flight between SF and Chicago now. They're getting REALLY tired. This is always the leg of the trip that I can sleep through. I mean, why not? You've been up on a plane for 14 hours and then 3 in an airport...and you're now on a flight where there is NO HOPE of anything worthwhile, let alone free, to eat.

They caught the shuttle from our hostel- nameless, lest anyone think I'm recommending it.... it was OK, but by far the least nice place we stayed during the entire trip. They left about 10 AM to catch their 2:40 PM flight. The trip to the airport takes about 30 min. I think they were ready to be home.

But, this is what they missed. Monday was a gorgeous day in Sydney. Blue skies. Practically cloudless. Warm. So warm I took off my jacket. We walked through the city (discovering a shortcut through The Domain that would have been extremely welcome the day before!) to W. station (memory lapse) and took Kevin's old bus to Balgowlah. Found that the Balgowlah mall was now a big hole in the ground. Picked up some lunch, walked past Kevin's old house and tried to remember where the pedophile lived, then ate in the park by the water. After, we walked to Manly. Along the water. Watching dolphins. Manly is just a thin strip of land between the Manly harbo(u)r and the ocean. We gazed at both then took the ferry back to the city.

Note: photos to follow.

No comments: