Saturday, September 22, 2007

GOMA

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

What is it about museums of modern art?? How avant-garde? how cutting edge? is it to name yourself The ___ of Modern Art? Yes, in Brisbane we've got the GOMA - that would be Gallery of Modern Art. Somewhere, no doubt, someone is drawing up plans for their city's Building of Modern Art, District of Modern Art, Restaurant of Modern Art, or my fav The Center (or maybe Centre) of Modern Art. None of this should be interpreted to suggest that I don't thoroughly enjoy a trek to the local OMA. I've gone twice now in the last month.



While my Uncle Carroll was visiting, we did a big museum day and visited the Brisbane Museum, the Museum of Natural History, and the Art Gallery. But, we missed the GOMA. I was disappointed because I'd seen a postcard of the current installation by Katarina Grosse- and I really wanted to see it. So, in time, I have. Twice. She works with industrial sized spray guns of paint. She paints BIG. Walls, man. And, wall sized canvases. And, balloons. And, dirt. One word. Color. (Colour. Guess you might call that two words.)

Kevin and I really enjoyed the sculpture by an Indian artist (I believe) who was trying to capture the experience of transcendence. He had large brightly colored pits that grew darker as you looked down or through them until you reached eternity. I'd show you- but they're gone. See, that is part of why I went back. I needed some photos.

For you.

So, I guess my trip today was a bit of a failure. Some of the exhibits had closed. And, my camera closed before I'd seen all the exhibits. My batteries died. I tried to coax my camera into taking "just one more" photo. One more painting by the Thai painter Vasan Sitthiket sending more sinners to hell. I closed it up and walked around the gallery-giving it a "rest". I opened the battery compartment and closed it. I shook the camera. Alas.

I must go back.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Sinners are monks giving lottery tickets... They will be kicked by marvelous feet until death. Vasan Sitthiket 1991

No comments: