Sunday, April 25, 2010

Three Men and A Boat by Jerome Jerome

Let your boat of life be light,
packed with only what you need--
a homely home and simple pleasures,
one or two friends, worth the name,
someone to love and someone to love you,
a cat, a dog, and a pipe or two,
enough to eat and enough to wear,
and a little more than enough to drink;
for thirst is a dangerous thing.

--Jerome K. Jerome, Three Men in a Boat

This quote hung in our kitchen for many years while I was in junior high then high school. I'm not completely sure when my mother replaced it- though it hasn't been hanging above the bar, which sounds alcoholic, but it isn't, for many years. (Let's not talk about how many years it has been since I was in high school...)

I recently finished listening to the book. It was peppered with amusing bits but I think it is one of those of books better held in one hand and considered with intention rather than time-sharing with a commute. Without a doubt, however, I'm in love with Montmorency.

No comments: