Sunday, January 25, 2015

"Red Dragon" by Thomas Harris

From January

The take-offs were good to watch, as well.  But when the old airplane made her great arc to the North, it left him sad and empty and the air was acrid with goodbyes.  He learned to watch only the landings and hellos.

I'm getting Kevin caught up with Hannibal (the tv series).  This led to me decided to reread Thomas Harris's novels - well, at least Red Dragon and maybe, for the third time, Silence of the Lambs.

It's interesting to find elements of Red Dragon embedded in Hannibal.  Conversations - word for word- coming out of different characters' mouths.  And, now that I (at least for the next 15 minutes) know Red Dragon, I can also tell you of the plots disparities between Hannibal and Red Dragon, which if you didn't know, will be it's sequel.  (By that I mean the story of Hannibal (the TV series NOT the book) comes before (immediately before) the story of Red Dragon.  I could tell you about plot issues, but I won't.  It doesn't really matter and I can feel my knowledge of them fading quickly - even as I type.

Then, me being me, I thought I'd watch both the movies of Red Dragon - Manhunter (1986) and Red Dragon (2006)-   but I only started them both (simultaneously - reason #552 you're glad you didn't marry me - I'm watching movies at night before bed in 20 minute segments).  I stopped watching them when Kevin reminded me I was supposed to wait for him.

It will be fine, Kevin.  I'm sure I'll forget everything I saw before you get home tomorrow.

No comments: