Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Catching up in the USA


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Writing today from Clintonville, Ohio. We have less than a week left in the US, but I feel we've squeezed most of a year into the past 19 days. Beautiful spring weather in Ohio- temperature in the mid 70s with daffodil, forsythia, blue skies and green, green grass. Watching the leaves unfurl and the blossoms changing from redbud to dogwood to wisteria while driving south to Georgia and (early) summer. Then, back to Ohio. Arriving at 11 pm; passing the bank clock where the temperature read almost 60 degrees. Waking up to 27 degrees. And, snow. We're approaching spring again. It is chilly and rainy. What a wonder is Ohio!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Meanwhile, Kevin's spent much of the time holed up in the basement of the Midwest Convention Center playing games: board games and card games, primarily, though we (I was there for 2 days) did have a few killer games of "Gnip Gnop" and "Rapid Fire". For the most part, Kevin practiced his ingenious Australian Expo strategy for tournament play whereby he deprived early opponents of advancing only to, ahem, not win future rounds. Through fierce determination, however, he won the "hidden contest", earned his sheriff badge, and took home a pair of pink fuzzy handcuffs. I didn't actually witness ANY of this competition, so I only have his word on the origen of the handcuffs. Additionally, I helped clinch the last place position in the duplicate Tichu competition for team Kevin. The winning team scored something like +2000 points, while we rocketed to.....-1440. Woohoo. It is all part of the grand design to steal the prize next time.

I always feel odd in Columbus. No matter how long it has been and how many OTHER things have happened in this city, I am flooded with images and feelings from my days at OSU (or, since this is still my Australian journal- "uni".) When I see the "towers" from 315 and pass under the green sign identifying the upcoming Lane Avenue exit, I'm 18 and in the back seat and moving into Taylor Tower. The Continent is indelibly marked with my first excursion there to see a movie. And, the sidewalks and paths are peppered with my roommates and friends. I'm left feeling wistful and full of longing. I am once again in love. I miss all of you.

Probably, I just need to eat breakfast.

No comments: