Saturday, June 16, 2007

Australia- where the dead hang



I don't see much in the way of road kill in Brisbane. (I've seen PLENTY of it while driving through the outback. Not little roadkill, either. Big dead animals. Animals that would have killed our car if we had been involved with the collision. Big and stiff legged like toppled saw horses. But, that's another story. And, I guess I've told it. Oh, well. Maybe I will change the title.)

Road kill, no. Power line kill. Yes. In the last month- 2 bats and a possum. We found the possum today on our "get-out-of-the-house-so-the-realtor-can-show-the-place" walk with Zelda. I'm not sure what kills you up there. But once you're dead, you seem to have fantastic holding ability. You probably can't appreciate it, but the possum is holding on by the tip of his tail. Prehensile rigor mortis.

I don't walk under the dead, anyway. Someday, they're gonna fall.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is the possum dead or sleeping?

NNV said...

He's still hanging in the same spot with the same expression today. I'm thinking he is dead.

Friendless said...

I always guessed they died trying to climb from one power line to the other. Apparently holding on to one is safe but holding on to two is the last mistake you ever make.

NNV said...

That's what I think, too, John. The bats always seem to be strung between 2 lines.