Sunday, June 17, 2007

Stray thoughts



The nudist beach in Noosa- in error I reported it was "unofficial". I am embarrassed to report my error. It is "informal". Those were informal nudists. I should have known. No ties.

Having multicolored money and a lack of pennies may be having an anti-arithmetic effect here. I noticed the cash register at Sushi Train. You don't key in the dollar amount that the customer has given you. You only have to match up the bill to one on the touch screen. Of course, you still have to count out change. At the deli counter in Coles I had a second interesting numbers experience. I asked for 300 grams of chicken mince. The young man glopped out 248 and asked "is 250 OK?". Granted 2 grams of chicken is negligible, but I suspect he's been reading cash registers for too long- where $2.48 cents of chicken mince will cost you $2.50.

EXPLOITING BASE 2.
Which brings me to my wild idea for becoming rich, rich, rich! Lets say we are out shopping at Coles. If the total bill comes to something plus 2 cents (or less), it is rounded down to 0. For example, my grocery tab was $64.52. I'm charged $64.50. If I pay in cash. If the total bill sums to 3 cents (or more- which face it, is 4 cents), the amount is rounded to 5 cents: $43.84 becomes $43.85. (The same rounding occurs above 5: 6 and 7 round down, 8 and 9 round up.) It seems that if I'm paying with our debit card- we CALL it a credit card- and it has a VISA imprint on it- but that DOESN'T make it a credit card- I get charged the exact amount. I guess that the bank can still handle numbers other than 0 or 5 in the ones column. So, if I pay cash for all purchases that get rounded DOWN and credit for purchases that would be rounded UP...I think I could end up with something like a million dollars in only a few centuries!

Kootie catchers.
Kevin remarked while driving last weekend that we forget all kinds of things as we get older- like how to make those decision making devices out of paper. (We called them kootie catchers. I don't think he had a name for them.) As it turns out, though my memory can be very sieve-like, I CAN help you chose between two options. Call for yours today. (It is easier to use two hands- but harder to use two hands AND photograph the device.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can remember how to make them, I think you got 8 choices. I can't remember the rhyme we sang while choosing though. And I certainly can't remember a name for them, I don't think we had one. Of course, in origami, it's called "salt cellar"

I cannot remember how to jump in at skipping, and we also had a skipping-like game that involved elastic round two girls' legs, and you jumped in and out of it and made cats-cradle type patterns. There was tremendous skill and ranking.

And I'm trying to envisage formal nudity - do you wear a bow tie and/or high heels or something?

NNV said...

We can't remember the rhyme, either. I'm wondering how you come up with 8 choices. You must have made the super-duper ones!

At my last job we went through a jump rope phase. During lunch we'd take out a long rope and jump. I can jump in and run through- but my efforts at "double dutch" (two ropes spinning in opposite directions- which I can do the twirling for, at least) were very, very poor.

And, yes, Cathi. Formal nudity requires bow tie, top hat, heels-usually in accordance with traditional gender roles; a corsage/boutonniere is optional. Most people don't fish- with a kite or otherwise- when they are formally nude. Something to keep in mind.