Sunday, February 10, 2008

Gung hay fat choy!



Yes! It is the year of the RAT!! (That's rat, Zelda. Not dog.) Kevin and I started our celebration last night by ordering Chinese from our local, just-over-the-tracks restaurant. Today, I ditched him and went on my own to Chinatown to check out the festivities.

I didn't arrive until almost 3. I toured the shopping stalls in the Brunswick Street Mall and then thought I'd see what was happening on the next mall (the one with the pagodas that I don't know the name of). More shops- though these were decidedly Chinese and festive in nature. Down at the end was a Chinese band playing, I kid you not, "Play that Funky Music". Of course, I had to stop. Everyone was lining up around the perimeter of a rope that cordoned off the area in front of the band stand. I didn't know what was going to happen, but I had a second row position and I figured (reckoned) I should hold onto that.

Not long after that I spied the video screen positioned near the pagoda on which the band was playing. The upcoming action included the dragon and lion dances and firecrackers! So, I waited there for the next 30 minutes- somehow retaining my good position.

This was the official beginning of the New Year festival and so we had to welcome everyone and introduce umpteen dozen officials and dignitaries- who each made a speech- usually in English and then in Chinese. I did appreciate that occasionally they would throw a dance in in-between speeches.




Things to know:

It is necessary to repaint the eyes on the dragon and lion(s) before their performance in order to ensure prosperity/good luck for the year to come. I'm not sure why every person on the stage had to paint the eyes of each lion. Maybe the luck goes only to the paintee. In this case, I'm out of luck.

It looks like fun to be part of the dragon but less so to be part of a lion- especially the back part. And, it looks downright dangerous to be any part of a lion that is dancing above ground. These lions, however, get pretty awesome looking massages prior to their performance.

If you are ever being hunted by a dragon, throw a ball. They seem to follow "the bouncing ball"- especially a ball with streamers, if you've got one.

Being in the front row is very cool and probably important for appreciating the dragon dance, less necessary for the post hopping or pole climbing lion dances, and actually unpleasant for the firecrackers- that is unless getting hit in the face with shrapnel brings good luck in the year to come.

It is good to be small. You will receive a bag of rats.

No comments: