Friday, February 08, 2008

Unsettled mind

Yesterday as I was lying on Heather's massage table feeling like a birthday cake I thought, "I should be relaxed. This treatment would be so much more successful, undoubtedly, if I would just relax. I've got to stop this obsessing." It went on like this.

And what, pray tell, was on my mind?

Two things. It is always two things. Just ask Kevin.

First, I lost a patient. I saw this dog yesterday and I knew enough to tell the owner I thought she might not make it through the night- but I didn't know enough to save her. Arghhhh. It is one of those things- afterwards you have some great ideas- but at the time you are just plain stupid. I am so sorry. My bad. I've learned by now that the only way to get through these things is to figure out what might keep this very specific problem from happening in the future. I've figured out what that would be with this problem- but I just haven't let it go. Yet.

Then, there was my embarrassment about "May". May cuts my hair. I like him. He's very cute and very sweet and it only takes about 24 hours before I have the courage to look at my hair after he cuts it. (I've always thought May was a funny name for a man- but he's Japanese and, so, who knows.) Anyway, I called to make an appointment for a hair cut in anticipation for GOING HOME. May didn't have anything available early. "I can get you in with her at 4:30." That won't work. I have to be at Heather's at 5:30. The woman suggested I come in later- Thursday is late shopping day here. (Yes. One day each week- every week- the stores are open until 9 PM. Gasp.) I guess I could come in after seeing Heather. But, first I had to clarify that I wanted to see May the man. Oh. She's a woman.

So, I lay on the table truly, truly, truly embarrassed about calling her a man. I don't care if May is a man or a woman. I just didn't want to offend her. She holds sharp instruments next to my face. But, mostly, I like her. She is (still) cute and sweet.

Later, of course, I confessed all to Kevin. He laughed at me thinking that a man would be named "May". But, I had just restudied the situation and I must report that 9 out of 10 veterinarians would believe that May was a man.

And, I'll have you know I scored a perfect 10 out of 10 on the male/female quiz on Facebook.

I'm good.

I'm just not perfect.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Ann,

I must say it is just so entertaining to read your Blogs. You have such a brillant way of putting things down and explaining exactly what you mean.
Wishing u much happiness.

Take care my friend,
Ella Ramsey Durr

NNV said...

Thanks, Ella. I wish the same for you. Hoping all is well in your world.

Ann