Wednesday, February 13, 2008

What a great week!

And, it is only Wednesday and sure to get better!

Monday, you won't believe it, but I got to go home an hour early! Upon my arrival, as if anything could get better, I found that the Australian government has finally sent our medicare exemption forms AND there was a package from Christine! Oh wow! Christine sent lots of new spiders (seriously), a real letter, and a CD of photos. I had so much fun! Then, we watched the last episodes of season three (the final season) of "Arrested Development" and were once again impressed with what has to be the smartest comedy ever appearing on TV.

Tuesday we had an early celebration of Valentine's Day. (Tomorrow evening Kevin has an appointment at the dentist. And, I'll be in the throws of last minute packing.) We went to a Turkish restaurant that we've noticed on Sandgate Road. I had the prawn bowl? pot-o-prawn? something like that and Kevin had the mixed grill. We took our meal "to go"- not that anyone takes a meal "to go" in Australia. Here, we do "take away". The food was good and plentiful. And, we splurged on rice pudding. It was an assignment from Heather, really. She thinks I should eat rice pudding. Who am I to argue? It was very yummy- and too much.

Wednesday- my last day of work for two weeks! How sweet! And, my boss informed me of the bonus I earned for this quarter. I love the way this man does math. We earned 25% more in the last quarter than we did this time last year. He calculated my bonus on the basis of this...and then pretty much doubled it. Crazy. I said, "Thank you".

Tomorrow- finally going to get our taxes done, I hope. I have an appointment. I just hope I have all the information I need to complete the job. Afterward, lunch with Kevin and some last minute gift shopping in the city. Oh, and repacking. At least twice. Then, try to sleep. I expect to be very excited. It is better than Christmas. I'm going home!

Friday- my flight departs about noon. I'm lucky enough to get a direct flight to LA from Brissie. A not too excessive layover in LA is followed by a flight to Cincinnati. After an hour there, I'm headed for Dayton. Total travel time, discounting the drive to the airport and the wait in Brisbane AND the drive home to Chicken City...23 and 1/2 hours.

I know that I'm going home to winter. I know that but I just don't really understand it. Arctic fronts are hard to imagine when you are in lush, hot Brisbane. Snow? I've seen the photos. I know it is white. I'm anticipating culture shock.

No comments: