Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Quotes from books 2008

"From what I can see, miracles are built from love, and as far as love is concerned, I am a true believer." from "Oh My Stars" by Lorna Landvik

"What we love about our books are the depths of many marvellous moments seen all at one time." from "Slaughterhouse Five" by Kurt Vonnegut


"Memories can be everything if we choose to make them so..." from "The Story of Lucy Gault" by William Trevor


'Just how many names does ths ox have?" I repeated. "He's got only one," the old man replied. "he's called Fugui". "But just now you called him a whole bunch of names." "Oh..." The old man smiled and gestured cryptically for me to move closer. As I neared him it seemed as if he wanted to say something but stopped. When he saw the ox raise its head, he gave him a reprimand, "No eavesdropping! Lower your head!" The ox did lower his head, and then the old man whispered to me, "I'm afraid he'll discover he's the only one working the field, so I call out some other names to fool him. If he hears that there are other oxen around working the fields, he'll work harder and won't feel so depressed." from "To Live: A Novel" by Yu Hua

"She pulled in her horizon like a great fish-net. Pulled it from around the waist of the world and draped it over her shoulder. So much of life in its meshes! She called in her soul to come and see." from "Their Eyes Were Watching God" by Zora Neal Hurston

No comments: