Sunday, June 21, 2009

Short Days Begone!

From Singles 2009



June 21. Summer solstice. Not.

Even though June 21 is really early summer, there was always something bittersweet about it for me. The longest day. It's all downhill from here.

Of course, now that I'm on the upside down side of the world, June 21 is the shortest day...and I am so, so, so ready for some more daylight.

I spoke with my mother this morning and she reminded me that on the solstice we're supposed to dance naked on the hill. But, its been raining all day - I think I'll skip the ritual this year.

On the other hand, at this time of year (if by this time I mean the first day of winter) my grandfather would repeat the adadge, "As days lengthens, winter strengthens". That is true here, too. Our coldest days are still ahead of us, most likely.

No comments: