Wednesday, March 03, 2010

New Zealand - It begins!

From New Zealand

Mid February Kevin and I left Brisbane for our much anticipated trip to NZ. I already acknowledge that I cannot do justice to that experience. The mountains! the beaches! the green fields! the wildlife! the cool, beautiful weather!!! and, the nightmare of driving twisty mountains road with a man who has an allergic reaction to tail lights! We made some rudimentary notes about what we did each day and I took copious photographs - though even as I was snap, snap, snapping I was keeping a loose mental list of all the cool images I was missing. Then, comes the disappointment of actually looking at the photos and recognizing that they are invariably incapable of capturing the entirety of the experience. In addition, it is only now after I have downloaded them onto my computer, that I know there is a blob of something on my camera lens for the first 3 or 4 days. Thank goodness for the rainy day that encouraged me to dig out the lens paper and wipe off my lens! I'll try to repair the blemish - (I haven't been successful, so far, but maybe I'll be inspired.)

So, let us begin!

We flew into Wellington where we stayed with our friends, Anna and Andrew. We arrived after midnight and I surprised everyone by staying up til almost 2 AM. (Though, in all honesty, it is less surprising when you correct for the shift in time. Wellington is 3 hours ahead of Brisbane.)
From New Zealand

On Saturday we were introduced to the windy world that is Wellington...trekking around the city - taking in first Te Papa (The Museum of New Zealand) including the giant squid but not the current exhibit "A Day in Pompeii". (We didn't bring anything appropriate for a "hot time" in the "old town".)
From New Zealand


Lunch at Sweet Mother's - real deep south (American) cooking. Not sure how it got to New Zealand - but I'll take some gumbo any day. (Apologies to Dave Robicheaux - I could have ordered a po'boy sandwich, but didn't. Kevin did. I had a bite. Still friends?)
From New Zealand


We saw government buildings, Cuba Street (fountain above), the NZ Film Archive and the theater that premiered, hmmm, what was that New Zealand movie...about a ring, I think....
From New Zealand

It wasn't the best outdoor weather day - until we were committed to some indoor time - playing tichu and having supper. Then, the sun shown.

No comments: