Sunday, October 07, 2007

Reptile tales

Spring. Maybe that's what's happening.

We had our first Australian snake sighting last week. Not more than 2 blocks from home. Between us and the train station. A real, live snake. Fortunately, it was being supervised by two feline guardians. They had it staked out on the middle of the sidewalk (footpath). It wasn't going anywhere- at least not with its head!

A jogger had stopped us while we were on our evening walk with Zelda to caution us that there was a snake up ahead. You know how that would work for us. We made a bee-line! Overall, none of us was overly impressed. It WAS over a foot long- but only as big around as a first grader's fat pencil. Zelda couldn't be bothered to even look.

When we left it, it still had its head AND its tail.

Which is more than I can say for the lizard that was brought into the clinic. Some sort of "dragon" according to the wildlife rescue group. It was as long as as big around as my forearm- except it had only a bloody stump where its tail had been.

Unsightly.

Before anyone could really help it, it expired.

Unlike the gecko that I tried to free on Friday evening.

There's been this big fat healthy looking gecko in the bedroom for weeks. I see him almost nightly sitting on the window screen and he serranades me in the morning. Just a few friendly chirps. So, I thought I'd help him out and release him to the wilds of 51 Hibiscus Circuit. You know. The OTHER side of the window.

Unfortunately, my smooth collander-over-the-gecko move missed everything but its tail. The gecko ran and the tail dropped to the floor- where it writhed for a good 5 minutes. Wow. Talk about disinhibition!

But, never fear. The gecko- fat and stubby now- was on the window Sat evening. We eyed each other.

And, he didn't sing this morning.

2 comments:

Just a girl said...

Hi!
I can see that you're clearly new in Oz if you've just had your first snake siting! I'm certain the novelty of seeing one will wear out soon, you should see plenty come summer. Then you'll be chasing it - but with a shovel.
A dragon? perhaps a komodo or bearded dragon (lizard)?
hmm...are you sure it's a gecko? Didn't know we had any down under...maybe a drop tail lizard? Althought they're tiny.
Anyhow, welcome to Oz from a girl born and bred there.
x
Just a girl

NNV said...

Just a Girl,

Thanks for the Welcome.

I, of course, wasn't SURE it was a gecko though that is what everyone here has called them. None of these lizards, however, has once approached me about buying car insurance. And, that's a pretty good test- at least in the US. In the US- geckos also drink Budweiser beer...but despite these talents they don't have their own tv series. That would be the cavemen.

Anyway, I asked google after getting your comment about geckos in Australia. They listed a whole page of geckos ranging in size from tiny to quite large. The geckos in our homes in Brisbane seem to me to be the Asian geckos (imports) known for their vocalizations. chuck chuck chuck.

I've only got a hoe...guess I bette get myself to the hardware store for snake equipment.

Nice to meet you!

Ann