Saturday, October 20, 2007

The Red Dragon

"I'm not the sort of person who falls in and quickly out of love"

I know I said I'd never name a car again- but maybe this isn't really a name. Its just a title, like "The Smoke Mobile" (which still sits in our driveway). A name is more intimate. Something you'd croon. Something you'd cry over when it had to go to car heaven...or at least get towed out of your apartment parking lot en route to the scrap heap for $25. Anyway, this identity popped into my head yesterday. Yesterday, as we made the most important journey of our relationship (getting Zelda groomed- there's a little dog in all that fur!) and explored the function of the CD PLAYER.

"Drop the pilot, try my balloon"

The Red Dragon has started to relax with us and reveal is shortcomings. Like the engine races when idling...itching to rear end somebody. Bad Dragon. Bad. Or, like, NOT TURNING OFF!!! It has got to be a curse. Some sort of demonic possession. Our lawnmower has the SAME PROBLEM.

"And as I kissed your lips
I knew right then
I was gonna have to do it again"

On the other hand, the CD player works just fine. I only have 4 Cd's here (though we have many mp3s "in" the computer): Michelle Shocked "Short, Sharp, Shocked"; The soundtrack for "The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou"; "Boogie in the Grass" a compilation of disco hits (Everybody?Anybody? remember "I love to love, but my baby just wants to dance" ?? The woman needs to wake up to the fact that she and her baby are dancing in a gay club for a REASON.) And, the tunes of the day - a best of Joan Armatrading.

"Speaking of life
You ask how, how right you are
To be feared or loved
Heed not a lie, fear not to trust coz
Whatever's for us, for us"

Wow. I love Joan Armatrading. Joan didn't ever make it big in the US- but I've always managed to find other fans: Tim at Duke, Gary in Wooster, Renee, Jeannie, and Nan in Cleveland. This one's for you!

"I am not in love, but I'm open to persuasion"



"Why do you come here and pretend to be just passing by?
When I need to see you, I need to hold you- tightly"

No comments: