Friday, November 16, 2007

And now for something completely different

Actually, that would have been a better title for the lecture by Michael Palin that I didn't attend with Kevin LAST week. Silly me. I forgot to note on the calendar that I was off Wed rather than Thursday...and the lecture was- this should be obvious- Thurs. Kevin bought be a ticket. Thank you. And, sold it to Aaron.

Tonight, however, we're off to see Colin Hay. I didn't know Colin Hay by name until Wed morning when I caught part of an interview on the radio. He was the lead singer for Men at Work and, according to the radio interviewer, puts on a very entertaining performance now by himself. He supposedly does a lot of talking. I'm hoping I can understand what he's saying. The door opens at 8 PM. I'm not sure when we'll stroll in. We know the performance isn't starting at 8. I'm just hoping it starts before 10 PM.

The last similar concert we went to was at the Odeon in Cleveland: They Might Be Giants. That night the headliner didn't start until about 11 PM. YAWN. Fortunately, we got to see this far-out (I don't use that adjective willy-nilly by the way) band: The Trachtenburg Family Slideshow Players. While I enjoyed TMBG (though not as much as when I heard them perform at The College of Wooster- when I heard them much EARLIER in the evening), it was the Trachtenburg's who made the night. I wanted to link here a video of their performance of "Look at Me" which is an amazing musical, lyrical, visual experience. But, an extensive search only finds lyrics or recording of the song. If you listen to it, you may be disappointed. They aren't outstanding musicians. You need the whole act to "get it". So, here's another of their pieces "Mountain Trip to Japan, 1959".

No comments: