Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Santa Claus is coming to town



Actually, his sleigh pulled up to Chermside LAST weekend. That's the nice thing about Australia, as far as Santa is concerned. No silly "Thanksgiving" holiday to keep him from getting in an extra week or so of prime child-holding, minimum wage earning time! I didn't stop by to welcome Mr. Claus. (I was recovering from my late night out with Kevin and Colin.) I am moved to wonder if the Santas in Australia, New Zealand, South America, etc are actually stationed at the South Pole...??? Maybe their sleighs are pulled by penguins rather than reindeer?? Cathi? can you hear me?? What's the story?

Brisbane's been busy putting up holiday decorations. I'm amused by the heavy reliance on the snowflake motif for the decorations on the Queen's Street Mall. Sure there are a legion of angels...but it's a damn blizzard of blue snowflakes!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's an interesting question. I think though that he must be a North Poler otherwise he'd come down the chimney in June. We get him first, of course - he has to start out on Dec 23 to get here in time. I guess he ends up in Hawaii or somewhere on our 26th

Snowflakes also appear on the Christmas cards for some reason. I refuse to buy them on principle.

NNV said...

Thanks, Cathi.

I bought my Christmas cards last week. I wanted to send out something "Australian". That was a bit of a challenge. The cards in all the large shops were very traditional. The ones that weren't overtly religious (I understand why there are no cards with wombats and kangaroos at the manger.) were snowmen or snow scenes or traditional Christmas trees. I did find some (Kevin calls them cartoony) Australian Christmas images- surfing koalas with Santa- what I SEE everyday- at a souvenier store. I wanted to give the North American's what they expected! (No guns on the Santa or the Koalas.)

Anonymous said...

I can only find them if I dig hard enough, but we do have some Christmas cards that are just summer scenes - a bowl of fruit (especially cherries) on a table on a sun-drenched deck, a beach scene, sea shells etc. They absolutely do not signify Christmas to a northern hemisphere person, but they represent what Christmas here is really like - a summer holiday. I prefer those cards, but I hesitate to send them to folks back home.