Thursday, January 01, 2009

Happy New Year!

From Christmas/Brisbane


Kevin and I welcomed in 2009 with a couple of games: Voltage and Scrabble Express. (Actually, I'm pretty sure it wasn't Scrabble Express, but it was pretty much S-E.) Kevin was disappointed that I was his only gaming buddy for New Year's Eve. He was feeling confused - even my cousin Elaine and my friend Susette had gaming lined up for the holiday! Kevin's woe was compounded considering that
1. I have a pretty steady bedtime of 9 PM and
2. I clobbered him at both games. What can I say? I'm a master at Voltage and I was skilled enough to roll the letters to create the veterinarily victorious word "GROWLERS". Bingo! Seven letters! Triple word score!

In general, I've got some big happy thoughts for 2009. I'm going to (eventually) find the camera of my dreams. I'm going to (Feb) see the baby turtles make their way to the ocean. Great things are afoot!

And, I've even been thinking about resolutions. I thought I'd start a photo-a-day project. Then, this morning, I listened to a story on NPR about six folks who've taken a photo a day at 7:15 PM each day. Isn't that cool? But, I think I need to start out more simply ("NNV: In My Eye").

I haven't quite figured out what my resolution is with regard to exercise. I've been thinking I need to add more movement to my life - like something that might make my heart pump harder - but, especially in January in Brisbane, that is likely to also involve sweating... and I don't like to sweat. To sweat. To be sweaty. To be near someone sweaty. To think sweaty thoughts. The additional complication: Zelda. She says she is keen to increase her exercise, too. But, I've seen her plan - walk a lit- wait... sniff sniff sniff sniff sniff sniff... OK, now we'll walk ...hold on, what was that? Here we go- right after I eat the tissue I found. (I did take Zelda to a dog obedience class for a while when we lived in Fayetteville. Week 3, when walking on lead was introduced, she developed a cervical disk problem and we had to drop out. And, ever since, she's got a great argument for why she should be in charge of our joint walks.) At the clinic we've discussed getting a group membership at the gym that's two doors down. They have a pool. Wet sweating.

Finally, 2009 may just be the year I figure out what I want to be when I grow up.

No comments: