Tuesday, December 25, 2007

On the twelfth day of Christmas



Also, traditionally, the First Day of Christmas. And, for today- a sing along!

Santa came. No overheating of the reindeer.

Breakfast of french toast and scrambled eggs. Then a shower and change into the Christmas clothes my sister had made for us last year. We are a very coordinated household. Only THEN did we open presents.



The first present opened was Zelda's. A red children's ball. Wow. She was beside herself with joy. For the next hour she ran practically without pause chasing that ball through the house. We realized that we now knew what our big empty lounge should be- the ballroom! The ball became a wet sloppy mess of saliva and dog hair leaving skid marks on the walls. (Oh, great. I guess that vacuum isn't picking up very well.) She'd get it lodged between "her" chair and the kitchen door jam and then just lick it. Eventually, the licking and mouthing won. We heard a pop. Like virtually every one of Zelda's favorite gifts- this one didn't last the day. Actually, it lasted much longer than most have. The stuffed bear that Marianna sent- 5 minutes to disembowelment.

We were very very lucky to have gifts from my family and from my friend Carolyn's family. And, each other. Kevin was most impressed that he received several games from me. I loved the shirt and necklace that Carolyn sent....and the coolo digital photo frame from Kevin. We both rejoiced in new socks and underwear. (In my family- no one every has to buy their own underwear.)

Christmas lunch. Gazpacho and salmon salad. Kevin was INSTRUMENTAL in making the food processor work- note- line up the arrows on the front. He also did some excellent chopping of celery and onions.

So, it was about 3 when we left for the beach. We headed up to Caloundra- because Kevin wanted an Ocean beach- not just a beach on Moreton Bay. For the entire hour drive there were always 4 drops of rain on the windscreen. A very dark, dark cloud loomed to the right. Plenty of parking and room on the beach- though there WERE lots of kids toting their new boogie boards- including Kevin. I was concerned that I wouldn't be warm enough. It was only 25 (78) and my mother never let us go to the pool unless it was 80. And, it was chilly standing in the wind on the shore- laughing as Kevin tried to ride a wave. It looked like so much fun that we took my camera back to the car for safekeeping and I entered the water. Just standing in the waves- HUGE waves, by the way- I was carried 3, 4, 6 feet forward. But, let me try to mount the board and I'm buried. It was very, very fun.



Back home we showered again then drove off to photograph the lights at the Baptist and Catholic churches in our old neighborhood. Churches at home don't put up Christmas lights... These had to be shared. Unfortunately, the Baptists weren't lit. So, when that Christmas lights entry gets written, all you'll see are the ones from the Catholic church. Pious. I think that's the word you'll be looking for.




Christmas day movie- "The Proposition". An Australian film that takes place at Christmas. It is one of those films where you KNOW that nothing is going to turn out well. Christmas day movie fare- fresh cherries and lychees and out of date Camembert cheese (11/23/07). (Lychees- Lotte at the clinic asked me recently- "What is your favourite (I'm sure she used the u) Christmas fruit?" "huh?" Anyway, lychees and mangoes are hers.)

Note- photos to come later.

No comments: