Saturday, August 02, 2008

Fill up



I stopped today at the Caltex station that is conveniently placed between home and work. It is Saturday and even at 9 AM all but one pump was in use. Well, there were two pumps- but that first pump- the first one I pulled up to was "out of order". So, I say, there was only one available pump.

Number 15.

I filled our tank. ($1.42/liter- it takes higher math to convert that to gallons.) I went inside and was surprised that there was only one person ahead of me at the counter.

"I'll take this bottle of oil." (A good thing to keep handy. Saint Michael has been a bit haphazard with our protection, lately. That's another story.) "And, I have gas on pump 15."

"You mean petrol" the clerk said.

"Yes". Internal dialog- "Argh. Gas- petrol. Petrol - gas. Is it absolutely necessary to correct me? How many pumps do you have numbered 15????" I didn't say any of this.

And, now I have to explain that in Australia there is some sort of fuel they call "Auto gas" or "L.P. gas" that some cars use. I have NO IDEA what this is- except it is cheaper than diesel fuel or normal GASOLINE - I mean petrol.

The exchange between the clerk and I continued.

"In the US, they call everything gas?" She asked.

"Yes." I answered. A bit surprised to not be Canadian.

"What do they call L.P. gas?"

"Uh, don't know. I don't think we have that." I answered. I'm sure I had a confused expression on my face.

"Then", now she is perplexed, "nobody uses gas?"

"No, everybody does."

The man behind me laughed.

No comments: