Monday, August 25, 2008

The Ice Queen



Be careful what you wish for. I know that for a fact. Wishes are brutal, unforgiving things. They burn your tongue the moment they're spoken and you can never take them back. They bruise and bake and come back to haunt you.


I picked up this book on Sunday morning to take with me to read on the train to the city. It was light. Paperback. 211 pages. Easy to read.

So easy that I couldn't put it down. I finished it on Monday. That is something that is well nigh never heard around here! I nurse books for weeks, for months! I have one I brought from the US- I've been reading it for about 10 years.

Anyway, Alice Hoffman tells a fairy tale for grownups: magic and secrets and monsters and tragedy. But, it isn't a fantasy. The cat doesn't talk. The monsters are monsters of circumstance. The tragedy is the tragedy of life- accidents on icy roads, ill-timed promises, lightening strikes, hunting cats.

It was a pleasure to read AND very helpful. I know now the way to control the burning heat of one struck by lighting.

No comments: