Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Australian messages



Sometimes I'm really tickled by signs or cautions I read or see or hear in Australia. I'm guessing Australians don't find them humoro(u)s. I've watched some of their comedies.

Now for some examples:

On the Gateway Motorway (and likely other similar places)....

"Toll Evasion is an Offense".

I love this threat! It is so civil and yet it carries with it a tone of social sanction. I feel dirty and unlovable even contemplating cheating the toll.

This is my favorite, however. It is said in a very soft, very hurried voice following an advertisement for buying property in Brisbane. (Fortunately, they run the ad frequently on the radio. It took several listens to get it all.)

"The advice in this commercial has been prepared without considering your circumstances."

Wow. I haven't really figured out yet what this means about Australia and Australians. Naive? Excessively psychotic? Do throngs of Australians really believe that the radio is talking TO THEM? That advertisers want what is best for the buyer? That, this isn't JUST AN AD? Is the government outrageously cautious? Overly protective? (And, yet, if that is the case- why don't all doors exiting public buildings open outward? Why don't all lawn mowers require you to hold on to the handle to keep the blades spinning?- not that that is a problem (blades spinning) with our mower. Surely safe escape from burning buildings and keeping fingers from being sliced by folks wanting to reach under the mower would be more serious and much more common problems. I actually know a reasonably intelligent woman who lost part of a finger from this sort of (judgement) error.)

Lest you think I'm making this up, go ahead and google that phrase. The first page of 10 citations are all from Australian financial institutions. Maybe it is because this is Google.au? Or, maybe other people (read Americans here- cause the citation would have to be in English for me to understand. Sure, we could look to the UK, too. Not sure what you'd find there.) don't think this way.

Finally, there is the sign that begins this post. Were you like me...did you initially read this as suggesting that people desiring suicide should choose to jump from bridges rather than walk in front of trains? Obviously, Queensland Rail would prefer if someone else had to clean up the mess.

2 comments:

Friendless said...

The disclaimer is required on advertisements which might be perceived as financial advice. I don't know why people are that stupid. But how come when little children are taught about religion at school there is no disclaimer saying "This might not be true"?

NNV said...

Why indeed? In fact, as an American, I ask "Why teach religion in school at all?" I know we look like a bunch of religion mad people - but we do still have built within our constitution the separation of church and state.