Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Its been a long time- here's a work tale

Today I did something like 16 million new puppy checks. OK. Not really. That's the week's total. But today I got to check a cute, fluffy border collie puppy who has been living in his new home since Monday- but he still hasn't got a name. Maybe it will be Milo. Or, maybe Snapper. That's a name that vets are SURE to love.

Anyway, a boy and his dad brought the puppy in. They were concerned that he pants a lot- or, as my clients always tell me- breathes heavily. Maybe I should get more worried about panting- but I hardly ever do.

That's not the story.

I spoke primarily to the boy. He was probably 10. He was bright and articulate. And, he'd look at me and talk back. I like that in a client. During the exam the father gradually started moving closer to the table and paying more attention. I was undoubtedly taking too long with this exam because I was having fun playing with the boy. And, the puppy was cute.

Eventually the father says they got the puppy "so you could run around and lose some weight." (He was a boy with a "South Park" figure.)

The boy then adds, "And, it's for me to have a puppy to love."

I told him, "He is very lovable".

And, the boy looked up at me with a smile and a question.

"You both are."

No comments: