Wednesday, January 23, 2008

They know I'm alone here

How could I be so naive as to think that if Kevin was gone I'd have more energy to do more things when I get home from work? Where did that idea come from? I have kept the dishes washed and the kitchen tidy. I guess I am a superwoman.

But that isn't the title of this blog. It is about THEM. I've been alone 3 days and have had three close encounters of the eight legged variety. Monday morning I woke to find something very long legged crawling across my ARM!!!! I slapped it silly before I had the chance to count how many long legs. COULD have been a mosquito on stilts. Monday evening I was letting Zelda out when a brown spider the size of a 50 cent piece (which is really about the same in the US and Australia) came scampering and bouncing across the floor at my feet. I screamed. Loudly. No one came. Zelda wasn't concerned and Kevin didn't phone home. The intruder huddled by a chair leg while I contemplated my response. I have no Fall/Winter editions of the J.C. Penney catalog- and nothing smaller seemed worthy. So, I grabbed the vacuum. I chased that (insert favo(u)rite explicative here) spider across the floor- but I won! I then left the vacuum running for a full 5 minutes. He was not going to crawl back out. He was going to be tumbled to death! (Please.) Tues evening/Wed morning, however, was the worst. I came home and thought since I was the only one living here currently I should check the mail. Across the door inside the box was spun a web. This time I managed not to scream out loud. I think. But, I also decided to wait til morning (daylight) to get the mail. This morning I peaked in to see 2 letters (probably NOT love letters- but you never really know)and one spider sitting in the web. A sizable spider. NOT a garden spider (which are monstruous) - but in my mind I was convinced it would be a redback - the downunder version of a black widow- but nastier. Everything nasty thing is nastier in Australia.

Do you think I really need to bring in the mail? Kevin will be home in 10 days.

Actually, I may try to cart the vacuum out. I just need to find enough extension cords.

But, I'm not emptying the cannister.

No comments: