Sunday, January 27, 2008

What is this all about?



If I let tomatoes set around on my counter for too long- they don't get rotten like they would at home (meaning a tomato that is home grown. I don't buy tomatoes in the US. The "field grown" tomatoes here are not too bad- not the dry, mealy, tasteless hard fruit you get from Kroger's at home. I'm serious about tomatoes. They lose their taste if you refrigerate them. I believe this.) Anyway. Look at that tomato. It has SPROUTED.

Weird.

Oh, and last week we had a discussion with Peter while driving to Goulburn about the pronunciation of tomato. Recently he heard a discussion about the original pronunciation of tomato: it was TO MA TO like PO TA TO. The soft a sound that the Brits and Australians use was effected to distinguish the upper class who could afford this new fruit from those poor Irishmen who ate that dirty tuber. Still, he can't say TO MA TO. I told him we could form a support group for him.

I suppose he'll think that's a good idea when I join his and start saying things like toilet and petrol and lift. And, zed.

And, while we're on the topic of PO TA TOes- have I ever told you they sell two different forms of potato here? It is the same variety- but you can either buy them "brushed" or "washed". Brushed means "caked with dirt". I suppose they brush off any insects? Anyway, they are 10c cheaper per kilo. I figure (reckon- I'll put in an Aussie touch) the price evens out once you scrub off all that dirt and their weight drops significantly.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Totally agree with you on the tomatoes at room temperature thing. But I guess "room temperature" in Brizzie at the moment is enough to provide the warm, wet environment inside a tomato for the seeds to sprout. Not sure I can eat a tomato for a while having seen your photo of that. Thanks Ann :S

NNV said...

Sorry Cathi... It does leave one feeling like there has been an invasion of "pod tomatoes" posing as the real thing and waiting patiently to take over our planet. I think you'll be safe if you cut it open before taking that first bite.

Anonymous said...

Think I might have to inspect every seed for signs of potential sproutability before putting it in my mouth. Yeuchh!