Wednesday, January 23, 2008

A Bit of "On the Beach"



As Australia Day approaches so does the annual Australian gaming fiesta "On the Beach". This year the venue has been shifted from horse farm to sheep station- from the Blue Mountains to the outback outside Canberra (Goulburn, NSW). And, yours truly - now a person of employed status- cannot attend.

That didn't stop me from enjoying the "best" part of the 10 day experience- driving down from Brisbane. This year, however, we've got what we more honestly believe to be a reliable car AND we have air conditioning! The plan was to leave last Thursday as soon as I got home from work and drive about 4 hours. Then, get up about 6 AM and finish the day in Sydney attending a birthday party for Rob. As the hour neared 8 PM and we still weren't ready to leave we decided to alter the plan. Plan 2: Watch the most recent episode of "Nip/Tuck", go to bed after (9 PM) and get up about 3:30 AM to then drive straight through. Australia's own "whereis.com.au" told us the drive would take 10.5 hours. But, we've stopped believing anything from them. Google maps said 12.5. That fit our experience last year much better.

You already have an idea how this starts out. Lets just say, not at 3:30 AM. The alarm DID ring and we DID get up- but after a shower and breakfast and packing the car it was more like 5 AM. Still, there is not much traffic at 5 AM.

The drive down, in fact, was a pleasure. Maybe I exaggerate. But we did not encounter the traffic tie-ups we had last year near the Qld border. Nor were we passing out from the heat, the sun burning through the windscreen and the oil pouring out of our engine. And, we made it. In about 12 and 1/2 hours!

The party was fine. Rob was very surprised to see us. The best part for me, however, was that Kevin left the lights on. We arrived at Rob's door and in our welcome/happy birthday/what a surprise chat Kevin turned back to show Rob our new car (we had sought his advise when we were shopping. He's like a god.) and found it was easy to point out in the darkening evening. It was the one with the lights on. I don't know what is going on with that car. There IS an alarm that beeps when you leave the car with the lights on- but it doesn't come on every time. (Why should it?) I suggested that MJ needs a disco ball and maybe that will satisfy his desire for some nightlights. I'm not sure if it should hang in the trunk with him or like a fuzzy die from the rear view mirror. (Have I mentioned this idea before? I'm getting older....sometimes I forget what I've said and what I've just thought about.)

Saturday we picked up another Brisbanite from the Sydney airport and made the 2 hour drive to Goulburn. Have I mentioned that throughout most of this drive it is raining? Alternating between a mist, a sprinkle, and a downpour. We were the first to arrive so we went to the grocery and bought supplies to fix a spaghetti dinner for 13. Then, we started playing games. And played until 1 AM. Wow. Me. I did that. Though, I must admit, that my effort at "Times Up!" which IS one of my very favourites (see- that "u" slipped in effortlessly) was nothing to brag about.

Sunday I didn't have long to play. I had a plane to catch in Canberra and I wanted to take a stroll around the sheep station and take in the experience. It was a cool day- very pleasant. The sky was fabulous with bright sun piercing dark looming storm clouds. Everything was magical- purple sky, yellow paddocks, and blue mountains on the horizon. There should be lots of pictures here. Really. Lots of them.

But, I couldn't hack it. The flies! The Australian outback fly is a pest beyond belief. They MUST sit/crawl/hover/return on you. A mere wave of the hand will never deter them. After walking the equivalent of 1/2 a city block I let Kevin know that I would not be talking to him on this walk because I did not want any flies in my mouth. About 40 steps later I mumbled through clenched lips, "That's it! I'm done with this! One crawled up my nose!" I'm sorry now that I wasn't tougher. And, that I didn't leave for the airport with enough time to explore the "Big Merino" on the outskirts of Goulburn.

Oh, by the way, the Canberra airport must be seen to be believed. This is the Nation's capital... and the airport...well, there is a snack bar just past the Qantas check in desk. Don't expect to find anything - let me make that clear- ANYTHING to eat, drink, read, etc. upstairs at the gates. I guess it is about the size of the airport in Fayetteville, NC. But even Fayetteville has a snack counter in the gate area.

No comments: