Friday, April 25, 2008

On Broadway

Kevin and I were very psyched to be seeing "Spamalot"- even if, as it turns out, everyone will be seeing it and more easily. It will be playing in both Brisbane and Dayton, Ohio. Ah. Still, we wouldn't have missed spending the week in NY.

We thought we'd see if we could get into a restaurant we found a flyer for in the tourist bureau the day before. Mars 2112. Wow. Eat dinner on Mars. I was convinced that you'd need reservations days if not weeks in advance- but still we hurried over there. After all, it was not yet 6 pm. Perhaps we could slip in before the rush.



There was like no one in the place. We walked up to the maitre d' and he didn't even asked if we had a reservation. We were informed that our flight would take off in 5 minutes. Please stand on the line. Flash a Spock like hand gesture. NaNu. NaNu. (Yes, every TV image IS true!)

About 5 minutes later our ship was ready. We boarded. It was a bit of a bumpy road to Mars. I held on tightly the whole way.

Mars was very red. And the restaurant was very cavernous. It was sort of like living inside Uluru. I'm not sure why there are no windows in Martian restaurants. There was a TV playing the whole time with Martian weather and news. Two Martians tootled about getting their photos taken with diners or just sitting in strange locations watching us. They never came by to see us, however. Kevin and I soon realized that we were just about the only table without children.

Hmmm. I guess I do not quite have down the hip New York mentality. I thought this place would be jumping. Instead, I seem to think like a seven year old.

The food, however, was quick and good. And, the hand dryers in the restrooms were intergalactic!

To "Spamalot". Kevin was a bit let down. He has seen "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" something like 33 hundred times. So, he knows all the lines and he knows what the actor who says them should sound like. And, they don't sound like Clay Aikin. Or, any other American actor, for that matter. (As for me, I'm pleased when I have the opportunity to understand what is being said. A Broadway show isn't the place where I want to be nudging Kevin and asking "What did he say?" "What was funny?") So, for Kevin, it was "pleasant enough". I had a better time. And, I didn't fall asleep. This was a very, very, very good thing.

NOTE- the photo above of the two Martians was borrowed from the Mars 2112 web site. I couldn't take it. No camera. Thank you to Mars 2112. NaNu NaNu

No comments: