Thursday, September 04, 2008

Mamma Mia!



Tuesday night, while Kevin toiled away at reconstructing his computer, I went to see Mamma Mia! It had been on my list of things to do for quite a while. Interestingly, it was not because I thought the trailer looked so good; like many trailers for what are commonly known as "chick flicks" it told the whole story. For Kevin and me that translates into "why go?" However, everyone I spoke with seemed to really enjoy it, as did the radio, and rotten tomatoes. So, I went.

I must admit I had a good time. Beautiful scenery. Infectious tunes (damn!). The story was still satisfying though without much surprise. I laughed some and was moved particularly by the scene above (Dancing Queen).

It did come off a bit like a high school musical, however, and I was left wondering how it might have benefitted or suffered from choosing singers rather than just actors. Surely, there is a significant population of people who do BOTH well? Amanda Seyfried was excellent. Meryl Streep was good. And, the rest, were better than I am. They'd all get roles in the Versailles Community Theater... but...

No comments: