Sunday, March 23, 2008

Ancient Chinese Secrets



When Pepsi started marketing its products in China,the English slogan "Pepsi brings you back to life" was translated quite literally, "Pepsi brings your ancestors back from the grave."

I learned this first from Laurie Anderson. Kevin suggested it might not be true (!) so this evening I googled it. The following is from the "Snopes" Urban Legends website.

Status: Undetermined.

That was helpful.

Tonight, however, I'm more interested in the miraculous ability that the owner of our local Chinese restaurant proposes for Coke. She told Kevin that as soon as you feel any cold or flu symptom, you should heat up a can of Coke. Boil it with lemon and ginger.

I'm no Coke fan and it doesn't taste better hot with lemon and ginger. It is very sweet but, also, rather soothing on a sore throat. I've had it twice over 2 days. I'm not instantly well. Maybe tomorrow.

Maybe I need Pepsi.

No comments: