Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Pumpkin Pie: the first attempt



I pulled out Dixie's recipe on Monday and made a recipe of two crusts.

Here it is:

1 cup Crisco
1/4 cup butter

3 cup flour

1 T vinegar
1 t salt
5 T water
1 egg

As far as I can tell, we don't have Crisco in Australia. I did find a vegetable shortening in the dairy department. It had some fluffy name- like "Crispo"- and a recipe for making the Down Under version of Rice Crispy Treats. I should have read the signs. They were ALL over.

1. The only recipe for this stuff involved melting it on the stove.
2. The alternative uses for the produce involved wall building.
3. I could barely break it up to work it into the flour after it had set out on the counter (bench) overnight.

This morning I pulled the dough out of the frig to roll it into a crust. Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. There will be no rolling. This is a dangerous, very hard, throwing object...and not a Frisbee. Thunk.

I suppose I might have let it sit out overnight to warm back up and then MAYBE it would roll....but do I really want to be eating a fat that is THIS hard? I think it must be some sort of "supertrans fat".

So, I poured my pumpkin batter into the pie pan without a crust. We'll see. I told the clinic I'd bring pie in. I'm not sure that I'll take this, however.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think antipodean "shortening" is meant to be like suet - hard and not supposed to blend with the flour at all. Ever made suet pastry? Like that - all the binding is done by the water, and you need a lot of it. The resulting pastry is meant to be steamed.

Never seen US-style shortening outside the US.

NNV said...

Thank you, Cathi. No. I've never even heard of suet pastry. My only suet experience is mixing it with bird seed to make food to put out in winter for the snow bound birds. Maybe I'll bring some back with me. I'm sure that will go through customs without a problem. ;>

A