Monday, March 24, 2008

Movies, movies, movies

Kevin left yesterday for the US. That makes me, I guess, bachelorette number 2. He slyly left me here with not only Zelda but this cold virus. We're too busy partying at home with the Kleenex to get into any real trouble...despite Zelda's persistent efforts.

So, Kevin, while on an international flight, and I, while not doing the major house scrub I had envisioned, are knocking back movies. He called upon arrival with his update: "As It Is In Heaven", "I'm Not There", and "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford"...the latter he hadn't finished. And, for me: "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly", "American Gangster", and "Into the Wild".

I think we each missed seeing the film with the other. All these movies we probably would have liked better if we'd seen them scrunched together on the love seat with Zelda in between us. It isn't just the love seat or just Zelda. I had both of those. I missed Kevin.

The films I saw were fine movies that I had been wanting to see. Interestingly, they were all based on true stories. Hmmmm. I felt disappointed that I did not make an emotional connection with "The Diving Bell...". He was certainly a remarkable man with much more internal strength than I think I would possess. I think I should have felt more. Kevin suggested that it might be hard to elicit much emotion when your acting is localized to eye blinks (and rolls and a few tears). I think it didn't help me that I didn't really like the man I met in the flashbacks. "American Gangster"- I told Kevin I really prefer a film where we are either focused on the story of the cop or the story of the gangster. Mixed loyalties. Though, Frank Lucas was a very, very bad character- he did possess some charm. And, Richie Roberts was a honest cop but a fatally flawed human being. It was Tony Soprano vs Vic Mackey. As Kevin and I discussed, Vic will always win. He's smart and focused like a bulldog. Tony - I say he survives because he is lucky. (Of course, Vic would NOT have turned in the $1,000,000 he found in the back of a car.) Finally, "Into the Wild"- I don't know. Too nice a kid? Or, just because it goes out with a whimper rather than a bang? Anyway, it paled in comparison with "Grizzly Man".

Lest you think I have nothing earth shattering to recommend- I'll step back and plug 2 movies. They're listed over there on the right. I just didn't actually tell you how cool they were.

"Eastern Promises". Now, HERE'S a gangster story. The Russian mob in London. Drugs, sex, violence and all churned around in about 90 min. That, for me, really lifts a movie. Make it fit into 90 min and keep me on the edge of my seat. Don't let me think, I'll pause this now so I can find some more tissues to blow my nose. Keep me transfixed and dripping.

And, vying for film of the year with "As it is in Heaven"- "Lars and the Real Girl". I think you need to be told the premise. Emotionally challenged young man orders life sized sex doll and introduces her as his girl friend. From there, you'll form all sorts of crazy, kinky ideas. They will almost all be wrong- but that will actually delight you. It isn't rolling-on-the-floor funny. It is sweet. The best of all possible worlds must be a real girl in heaven.

No comments: