Sunday, March 16, 2008

It will be one of those rambling catch-up posts. You are warned.

Sometimes it feels like not much is happening- but then time passes and I realize that bit by bit a mountain of small stuff has collected. Most of it is on my desk. What follows almost invariably is I look forward to putting my ideas to (sort-of) paper and then something crappy or stressful or just tiring comes up. So it is tonight. I have the time. Kevin is busy gaming. It is only 7:30. But, I've got to make my 4th trip this Sunday into the clinic to care for two cats who are going downhill. Ugh. My heart is heavy and I can't find those great thoughts I thought yesterday- well Thursday. I need to try to learn to dissociate my ego from the outcomes of my patients. Ugh.

Here goes.

First: what has happened to all the spiders? Somehow, within the last few weeks they (the really, really big ones who had our backyard "wrapped up") have disappeared. There are remnants of big-ass spider webs- but they are looking tattered. Ah, the season is changing.

Second: Got to wear my new, it-fits! dress on Thursday evening. Remembering with oh-so-much pleasure the phrase the clerk had used as she folded this dress into the Macy's shopping bag- "you can throw this in your suitcase and it will come out looking great"- I threw that dress in my big red bag and took it with me on my day of errands only to whip it out and on in the women's room of the Lyric Theatre! Yes, Thursday was the night for "Phantom of the Opera". I was to meet the rest of the clinic in the bar of the theatre at 6:45. So, I crawled across downtown at 5 PM, parked in the museum lot, and found a very tasty dinner of sauteed vegetables with chickpeas and feta cheese. Then, I rushed to the ladies.

Really, it was more like 6:50. Scooting along in my new, over sized-but aren't they always? shoes I scanned the bar. Back and forth. Back and forth. I stopped people and asked them if there might be a second bar somewhere. I looked there. I panicked and went to the ticket booth to see if my ticket had been left for me there. No. And, at least initially, no record of Rob buying tickets for that night...til they found they were purchased through another vendor. That guy also didn't know anything. I looked outside. It was after 7! I was going to miss the show!

Although they left the clinic at 5, they didn't get home and then to the theatre until about 7:15. And, the show didn't begin until 7:30.

Still, we missed the beginning. We were actually in the wrong bar and so we missed the "Audience Call" light flicker. We were too busy chatting and drinking champagne. Or tea- depends on who you're talking about. So, we stood watching the big screen until the point where they'd allow the tardy to enter the theater. My thoughts. "My feet! How long will I have to stand?" and "What are they SAYING?"

The Phantom- once seated and enough vocal volume provided- was great fun! The costumes- particularly during the masquerade- were fabulous! The music was great! I was so rooting for the phantom to get the girl- but, as you probably guessed, once again, he did not. Kevin points out that he was a psychopathic killer- but still...even though his mask made him look a little like Batman's "The Joker", he got my sympathy. What does this say about my taste in men...? Choose the guy with the best song.

Third- The process of application for permanent residency chugs ever onward. Last week I had my physical exam. I fretted in the waiting room about whether I had fully completed the paperwork and whether an error on my part would result in being banished at the most inopportune moment- like when I was on the table getting scrubbed for open-heart surgery. I took my seat in front of the doctor and blurted out "I have a heart murmur. I didn't know where to list that". He told me that was his job.

I know you want to know. I passed my x-ray. I guess that must have been an end-on vessel in the radiologists opinion.

I didn't, however, pass my physical. Yes, I could stand with my eyes closed. I had no problem touching my toes. No inappropriate abdominal masses. No hernia. Adequate reflexes.

But, I had a murmur.

All my life.

Now, they need an echocardiogram.

Kevin says not to worry. He has an alternate plan.

He'll "dump my sorry ass".

Something like that.

There's more- but I've got a cat to feed. And, so, I leave you with this video.



comment- not by me- but it is almost funnier than Will Ferrell.
I hate it! It completely mocks Michael Crawford and All others who could sing the song, Music of The Night. Also, the Phantom's real name is Erik.

No comments: