Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Ann's Mini-vacation - Day Wednesday



I had plan for today. That ought to count for something.

I had a plan- but it got scrapped about 8 AM. The plan is still viable. Maybe tomorrow. Yes. Maybe.

Zelda and I had a kick around the house day. I put a little time into my "to do" list. Not enough to knock much off the list. For example, I didn't even try to start the lawn mower. Still, I made some progress.

I don't think I have the concept of vacation down.

First and foremost, Zelda FINALLY got her walk. Today I took her to the Boondall wetlands. She is not a happy-to-ride-in-the-car girl - so I came back an hour later recognizing she'd have been happier with a 30 min around the neighborhood walk. Still, I enjoyed walking through trees rather than down the suburban canyons. I must admit, however, that it is much quieter to walk here at home. The "near" walk at Boondall parallels the Gateway Motorway. Perhaps I've told you?

I read over the schedule for the upcoming veterinary conference (next weekend) and decided I could find more fun ways to spend $500. Then, as I was driving home from the grocery this afternoon, I wondered if maybe I'd enjoy going to the behavior meeting. I wonder if I could scare up some behavior research project. Unlike most (veterinary) behavior students I've met, I really don't have much of an interest in clinical behavior practice. Cats pee. Dogs bite. Nobody is happy. However, I enjoy reading and thinking and talking and writing behavior.

All this thinking was probably spurred on by my effort at the mall. I spent an hour at Border's Bookstore with the entire stack of dog care books they had (once) shelved. I read through (ok, skimmed) each one's chapter on housebreaking. I need to have some references ready for my clients who know nothing about having a puppy. I could write my own, but this is quicker. Interestingly, every single book I looked at made use of a crate for housebreaking. So, why is it that Australians have never heard of the concept? Oh, yes. They aren't reading any books. I must admit, I was in no hurry to buy any of these texts. I still find the cost of books here to be incredible.

And, speaking of books, I found that my dissertation (about the development of courtship behavior in doves) is listed at Amazon.com. ("Out of Print--Limited Availability.") I thought this was kinda cool- but what amused me more were the books that were listed as alternative titles.

Looking for "development" Products?
Other customers suggested these items:
The End of Poverty: Economic Possibilities for Our Time by Jeffrey Sachs
(114) $10.88
Suggested by 15 customers

The Bottom Billion: Why the Poorest Countries are Failing and What Can Be Done About It by Paul Collier
(38) $18.48
Suggested by 12 customers

A Leader Becomes a Leader: Inspirational Stories of Leadership for a New Generation by J. Kevin Sheehan
(14) $24.95
Suggested by 11 customers

Programming in Objective-C (Developer's Library) by Stephen Kochan
(41) $26.39
Suggested by 9 customers

Windows Presentation Foundation Unleashed (WPF) (Unleashed) by Adam Nathan
(56) $31.49
Suggested by 7 customers


Carl never did like my title. I can see why now. Totally leads a person down the wrong track. (And, WHO ARE these customers who are making these suggestions?)

No comments: