Sunday, March 06, 2011

Day 7-Favorite movies

You know, the thing about movies, the one you remember best is the last one you saw. I can list a few "oldies", but it must be said I haven't seen them for a while and my tastes may have changed.

"Brazil" (1985) - this was my compatibility test movie in the 80s. If you didn't like "Brazil", we were not going to be dating. (Of course the funny thing about this is that it never really got applied to anyone. I was never flush with invitations.) Recently re watched and it is still marvelous. And, the best news, Kevin thinks so, too. Whew.

"After Hours" (1985) - Watching "Brazil" reminded me of another film from about the same time I adored. I read the memorable quotes on IMDB and am still amused. Ergo, I think it will still stand.

"Junebug" (2005) - Great character piece with magical performances.

"Ba wang bie ji (Farewell My Concubine)" (1993)
and
"Il Postino (The Postman) (1994)" - both great though unconventional love stories.

"Amélie (Le Fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain)" (2001)
and
"Ju Dou" (1990) - two of the most visually stunning films I can remember. What color! (And "Ju Dou" gets these high marks from seeing a flawed DVD that skipped and stuttered on TV. Would love to see it again. Call me.)

"Hero" (2004)
and
"As It Is in Heaven (Så som i himmelen)" (2004) - beautiful stories, beautiful music, beautifully shot.

"Little Miss Sunshine" (2006)
"Napoleon Dynamite" (2004)
and
"Lars and the Real Girl" (2007)- I laughed. I cried. I laughed until I cried.

"Spellbound" (2002)
"Hoop Dreams" (1994) - both moving documentaries. Ah, life.
"Best in Show" (2000) - smile.

This list may be amended as my memory improves....

No comments: